Saturday, August 25, 2012

Saturday morning roundup

They caught the Dupont Circle assaulter-on-wheels.

How many mass shootings in a short time would be considered too many to keep track of?

Anxiety and love can only compete, and the one chosen will always push the other out of the way.

Abstinence educations is failing much of the country.

Dietitians may be coming to your supermarket.


Sigh. The old "imposing one's dietary restrictions on others" argument is just... old. By the way, a friend pointed out that the Phillies' Stadium is the most veggie-friendly in the country. I honestly had no idea that so many baseball stadiums had ample vegetarian offerings.

Don't buy the green-washing: your guide to compostable packaging.

Sometimes (but not usually) digital breakups, if done correctly, are for the best.

Slate is right: internet advertising often falls into the "too much, too late" category. When I was shopping for a smart phone, I visited a lot of review sites and sent out an e-mail to everyone I knew with a smart phone asking for their opinions and experiences. My browsing behavior and my e-mail (as well as those sent in response) were screaming, "show me smart phone ads!" And those ads arrived and invaded every website I visited--about a week after I'd already ordered a phone. And they didn't go away for a while. Similarly, I got months of Gmail ads for trips to the Galapagos... after I'd already come back from the Galapagos and sent out pictures.  Don't even get me (or Jay) started on Russian bride ads.


The common denominator I'm getting here (i.e., in a slide show of fall trends) is androgyny, but I can't tell whether it's the clothes or just the models.

No comments: