Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday Dinner

Mom approaches the dinner table, looks at the counter nearby.

Mom: Those poor tomatoes! What happened.
A.: Those are the tomatoes you bought today. Dad just took them out of the shrink wrap.
Mom: Huh. Well, let's try them.
A., Dad: No.
Mom: No tomatoes?
A.: There are fresh tomatoes in the salad. Also, we have two pints of cherry tomatoes. I think the best thing to do with those tomatoes is bake them in a casserole with the eggplant.
Mom: Do we need anything from [the Russian store]? We have those cookies. Do you eat cookies?
A.: Depends on the cookies. [She hands me the package; I read the ingredients.]
Mom: How you've complicated your life! (then, sarcastically) Make sure to read those ingredients carefully.

Have I complicated my life? I've just written about how I feel about obsessing about food, but reading ingredients is something we should all do more of, whether or not you're vegan. Besides, I generally don't consume anything with enough ingredients that they're an effort to read. So, no, I haven't complicated my life. Is there something wrong with knowing what you're eating?

No comments: