Friday, May 28, 2010

You know you're getting old when...

...your friends urge you to take gravity into consideration.

I was making shopping plans with Marcela over e-mail, told her I was in the market for dresses and that I was struggling to find ones not too trashy or overly casual. or overly low cut in either direction. She replied that I'd better show my stuff now before gravity takes its toll.

***
I figured everyone would be out of town, so this might be the weekend for catching up on errands and stuff. But I have three sets of plans for tomorrow and at least one for Sunday and Monday. I can't complain... but my house and lawn might.

***
Now that it's nice out, it's fashionable to preach the virtues of cycling. Don't get me wrong: I love cycling. I have trouble, however, with the assertion that you'll get great legs. I mean, you will--literally. Your legs will get strong, substantial, etc. They won't fit better into your jeans, though, if that's what you're after.

***
This morning, I was on my bike when I came up about 10-15 feet behind two women, and started to say, "passing on your left!" when one of them turned into the other lane (to my left, where I was about to pass them). I braked suddenly, and was far enough away that I neither hit her nor fell off my bike, although it was close. But she had THE NERVE to say, "you really need to say "passing on your left!" I said, "I had started to when you crossed into the other lane without looking." I think her companion had heard me and agreed, but I couldn't tell. You should never, ever just turn around into another lane without looking behind you. Ever.

We could turn this into cyclists/walkers, or whatever, but the point is, we're constantly interacting with one another, as people, and we're often not paying attention to our surroundings, whether it's because we're caught up in a gadget or another person. I could wax self-righteous but I've been there too--who hasn't? Of course, when I'm the one not paying attention, I don't then turn around and chew out the person who was doing everything right. Which is also a lesson to cyclists: always warn, and never pass too fast/too close.

No comments: