Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cultural superiority complexes

In "The Fourth Hand" (John Irving), one way in which a character tries to woo another is by reading a book she liked and sending her passages that resonated with him. When it turns out, passage after passage, that the ones he chooses aren't those she'd have chosen, he realizes that it's not only okay for them to drawn by different parts of the same book, but that it's only normal. There's no reason any two people, no matter how compatible, have to be drawn to the same aspect of a story, or work of art. That's one of the defining features of art: it's personal. It's visceral.

On a more general level, though, being drawn to the same types of art does correlate with compatibility, and not just out of pragmatism. I'd use a food analogy, but I'm the wrong person to present food preferences and their consequences as all practical and not indicative of one's overall personality. You can connecting with people over theater, painting, sculpture, books, music, film, TV, comics, etc. on a much deeper level than you would just verbally exchanging thoughts. I remember sending someone who is now a good friend of mine a short story, after reading a book that she sent me, which her father wrote, that spoke to me--and when she read the story, she knew I got it.

So I'm in no way saying that your choices of 'art' (see play of the same name for a more intellectual discussion of this issue) don't speak to who you are. But I agree with Carolyn on this one--you'd be remiss to judge people by their choices. Like one of the follow-on writers, I think Britney Spears and Kate Hudson are annoying and their music and films, respectively, are dumb. And I doubt I'd be compatible with someone for whom they were the intellectual nourishment. But I, and many people I know, assert our right to our brain candy and only want to tell you to f* off when you have something to say.

Readers of this blog will know that my mom does it--if I'm watching whatever movie is on TV (because how much Fox News or Animal Planet--which are the default channels in my parents' house--need one watch?), she'll start commenting every few minutes on how stupid it is. She'll ask, 'Do you really think this is interesting, thought provoking?' Yes, mom: I watch "Dude, Where's My Car" for intellectual stimulation. Now that I've admitted it, you can stop asking.

I think I've also told you, but I once had a roommate that would come in to see me and the other two roommates watching Soul Food, and would not once pass up the opportunity to make a snide comment, such as, "I'd never guess how smart you guys are based on the crap you watch." It won't surprise you that the three of us are still friends with each other, but not with her.

The point is, people like different things for different reasons. Even if someone does find nourishment for the soul in Britney Spear's "music," that's not an indicator of cultural vacuity. Now, if someone only ever orders burgers and fries, then you can go ahead and judge them. Just kidding.

No comments: