Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday morning roundup

Once in a while, I hit a point where I just can't read stuff like this any more because it's just depressing. And I don't just mean stuff about the destruction of rare forests; it's all sorts of recurring themes, where I just think, "why? I already know the Congo is still f*ed up; I already know people in Haiti are still homeless." And most of the time, I, you, should read it, because there's a difference between knowing in theory and reading about people and specifics. But sometimes you just have to say, "enough of this $hit."

An Indian village is divided over an honor killing.

China's business are hurting for innovation.

Here's some good news: violent crime had declined in the District and nationwide.

Toles on whom you'd want in a foxhole. Richard Cohen on the complexities of having not fought in Vietnam (as long as you're honest about it).

The Dalai Lama on compassion.

I'm not sure I've ever read a quote that so captures reality: “Children’s menus are the death of civilization.”

2 comments:

Tmomma said...

i like the idea of no children's menu as long as i can get a smaller potion for less $ which is the only reason i like the children's menu is the smaller portion that my child may/may not eat...you never know but we do get good leftovers either way. and for my allergy kid, no menu is necessary, i now rate restaurants based on how easily they can accommodate making, lets say, a plain chicken breast and veggies without a fuss and how cooperative they are about knowing what the fries are fried in (he needs high fat right now). i hope one day he can order off a menu.

artistchiq said...

This must be something very specific to this region of India because pretty much everyone in my family is from the same village in India.