Saturday, May 8, 2010

And then there's the just-not-listening

Last night

A.: Let me show you how to turn off the alarm in case you want to go outside in the morning before I'm up.
Dad: That's alright, I won't.
A.: Are you sure.
Dad: Yes.
A.: Okay, but remember not to open the door without disarming it.

I didn't disarm it when I came downstairs because my parents were still asleep. Mom still is. Dad came down looking for something or other. He went for the door.

A.: Dad!
Dad: What??
A.: What did I tell you about not opening the door unless you've turned off the alarm?!
Dad: I forgot.

I disarmed it, showed him how to use it. But the point is, would it hurt to listen? I don't say these things for my health. It wouldn't have been the end of the world if the alarm went off--I'd have turned it off. It would have woken mom, but it's not that early anymore. But if I'd been in the shower, for example, we'd have had problems.

No comments: