Monday, May 10, 2010

Supersize me

You know how if you don't need something for one price, you don't need it for a lower price? Or free?

Like, if you only want a small cookie, getting more cookie for free does not actually add value. Because you don't need more cookie.

Or like how an outfit that does not work for you at full price isn't suddenly going to work for you just because it's on sale.

But we still gravitate toward more cookie and unflattering outfit, because we think we're getting more for less.

Just as I don't need more cookie, or more unflattering outfits, I do not need daily delivery of the Washington Post. When it's delivered, I feel compelled to read it, and it takes forever. It absolutely pays for itself, even when it costs more--and I'll be getting it practically for free. But I don't have time for daily delivery when it cost more. I don't suddenly have time for it even though it's free. What have I done?

No comments: