Sunday, May 23, 2010

Response to comments

(1) I prefer being directed by a human who knows the area, and, in fact, I would have gotten home faster at least five minutes yesterday had I turned off my Garmin once I knew where I was. Any idiot who's been driving around Old Town for years knows that taking King Street is just a bad bet. The Garmin--which I have yet to name--just doesn't know the shortcuts, which make a huge difference around here.

I do mind being directed by humans who aren't really paying attention or taking their navigational responsibilities seriously. But yes, I do get annoyed when--let's call her Bianca and see if it sticks--she interrupts.

Why "Bianca"? Because I just googled girls' names, and it was the first one I found unpretentious. It works for the voice, too.

(2) I agree that the article was silly. I've heard a lot of people with kids say that if people knew what they were getting into, they wouldn't do it. I've heard the same thing about home ownership. The reality for both is, it's all about when you're ready, who you are, and what you want. In both cases, no snapshot--even a longer-term one--is going to capture the experience. And more so with parenting, you don't get the child you think you want; you get the child you get.

Interacting with various families, I see touching moments, frustrating moments, and banal moments. I was at a family-friendly party yesterday where lots of kids of various ages were exhausting the $hit out of their parents. Observing all that, and talking to people, I entertained familiar thoughts--those parallel to the ones that crossed my mind when I contemplated buying a house: I can handle the amount of work; I'd have a harder time with the uncertainty; but please don't let me become one of those tiresome people who talks about mortgages, paint colors, and landscaping [or diapers, stroller brands, and pre-school calculus classes] like anyone else cares.

Spending time with other people's children makes some people's biological clocks tick; this is not the case for me. I marvel at these children--I find them interesting, I enjoy interacting with them, etc.--but I'm glad I can give them back after a few hours. I'm also aware that biological clocks aren't exactly figments of the imagination, but I really believe--as with home prices and interest rates--it's really more about when it's the right time for you.

My long-winded point being, it's birth control for people who harbor delusions about what it means to be a parent. If you think it's all about cute outfits and a tangential change in your lifestyle, you might need a reality check. (If you think homeownership is an idiot-proof investment, you might need a reality check). If you already have a more realistic perspective, you're still going to be surprised when you have a child (or buy a house), but becoming aware of the everyday challenges isn't going to change what you really want.

No comments: