Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wednesday morning roundup

Meatless Mondays have taken off.

An informed prescription for dealing with North Korea.

Why do some people hate DC so much that they want to make it easier to kill people there?

Iraqi Kurdistan takes a journalist-hunting page from Russia, but people actually fight back.

Maureen Dowd revisits the unfortunate spinning of Elena Kagan's single status. On a personal note, I can't tell whether or not I should be offended--whether or not a friend meant this comment to be catty, no pun intended, when, at Sunday's bbq, the unbearable woman, whom I'd not seen in years, asked whether I'd kids, and a friend said, "no, she has a cat." In context, when I told this friend that I'd bought a four-bedroom house (recall the circumstances: it cost little more or even no more than a one-bedroom condo), she said, "one for you, one for the cat..." implying something similar to the very concept Maureen Dowd slams in her column. I ascribe it largely to bitterness--not a small part of her is jealous that I have a life. On a less personal but more amusing note, I direct you to the related 30 Rock "The Moms" episode:

No comments: