Monday, February 15, 2010

Phone call

Mom: How'd the party go?
A.: Great.
Mom: You know, Tanya called to wish us a happy Valentine's Day. I told her we didn't really celebrate it, probably your influence. She said it's a holiday about love so it's a good inspiration to call the people you love. Maybe you could think of it that way.
A.: I don't think of it any way, mom: I don't CARE. Actually, I think of it as a mess I've gotten myself into in terms of having to devote at least two days to preparing for, throwing and cleaning up after a big party, but I'm over it because it's inevitably a good time. In terms of the Valentine's Day part, it's irrelevant. Marcela put it really well when someone asked her if she was really anti-Valentine's--she said that it was more that she, and other party-goers, were pro-party and pro-A.'s food.
Dad: What did you make?
A.: Um... lots of stuff... grilled green-curried shrimp, Rocquefort (pistachio-encrusted) grapes, some other stuff, and the usual tiramisu and fondue.
Mom: You could make some of that next time we visit.
A.: If you'll recall, last time you were going to visit, you wanted to bring your own food.
Mom: Well, you never know with you.
A.: [Shrug.]

I felt like I got enough of a dig in, didn't push it by saying that Marcela and Tasha were so traumatized, so many years later, after being roommates to a cold, unfeeling bi&ch like me that they really just came to the party to see me interacting with people in a normal way. Funny, when we lived together, it never occurred to them to try to win me over by breaking into my office and touching my feet.

No comments: