Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday afternoon roundup and rambles

After the office closed, early, I thought I'd pop into the Safeway a few blocks up before heading home. The lines were insane, but I had a magazine and I wanted some groceries. In the line that I stood in--for an hour and a half--the couple not far ahead of me took turns holding the place in line and running all around the store to get more stuff for their two grocery carts. It was rude. I know I extolled the virtues, the other day, of not blogging about $hit like that, but it was so egregiously obnoxious that I had to tell you about it.

I had to wonder about the hordes in the market, apart from those clearly shopping for a cast of thousands for what I imagine are superbowl parties. They'll be able to shop again *in two days.* I just happened to have some time and a hankering for avocado.

***
I had my own bag, in case you were wondering. I keep one in my handbag. It was enough for the six items for which I waited ninety minutes.

The bag tax may be coming to Virginia, although there's some opposition in the state legislature. To which I say, 'really, D-Alexandria? Do you know your constituency?'

I read this guide for Type-A parents while in line. It's pretty funny.

***
Ruth Marcus can't understand why Jenny Sanford put up with so much BS and ignored so many signs, but women--smart women--do it all the time. I've done it, and I find myself talking my friends out doing it, regularly. This why I wholeheartedly believe that "He's Just Not That into You" is possibly the greatest gift to women of all time, up there with "Our Bodies, Ourselves".

***
I recommend last night's Daily Show in its entirety, but I have to share one clip in particular.

Now, I may have told you before that one motivation for mom's concern over my weight and my overbearing personality and overall harshness is that she seems to believe, at least partly, that that's why I'm single. Let me offer you an alternative explanation: I have the sense of humor of a 14-year old boy, and that clip had me rolling.

***
Speaking of clips, have you guys seen this?? Scroll to 2:20 or so.

No comments: