Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wednesday evening roundup

Women may no longer have any trouble getting credit cards in their own name, but we still have to put up with this kind of bull$hit.

Have I mentioned that I love Michelle Obama? I also love sweet potatoes. Turnips, less so.

If parents complain about sitting next to their own kids on a bus, why are the rest of us supposed to shut up about it? Anyway, apparently DC is baby-friendly.

I've always hated being told to smile or cheer up. It's now official that the people who say that kind of thing are dumb.

Did you roll your eyes when I balked when someone who asked me out proudly proclaimed he'd once lobbied for the Farm Bureau? Did you think I was exaggerating when I said they were the root of much evil? They've even got a New Yorker writer spreading their propaganda. I urge you to resist. I also urge you to skim that last article--it's rambling, but worthwhile.

I consume canned food from time to time--probably not enough to worry about bisphenol-a, but I'd prefer not to have to worry at all. With the FDA decision pending, I'm glad it's the Obama Administration (not that its record on standing up to industry is perfect).

2 comments:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

Yeah, I think just about every Smithie has a problem with being told to smile or cheer up. I've only had men say this to me, and I always have to resist the urge to say, "Don't tell me what to do, bitch, you don't know me. And you ain't the boss of me."

Yes, this kind of comment actually turns me into a jive-talking, neck roller, that's how bad I hate it.

wwc said...

I missed that NYT article about the celebrity chefs and the White House garden - thanks!! I recently read the book _Heat_ (about learning to cook in Batali's restaurant) which has endeared Batali to me, even though he is kind of a freak, too.