Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving roundup

I couldn't have stumbled upon a better quote to start the day:
“It’s an important reminder that crucial change is often ignited by very plain, unremarkable people who then disappear,” said David J. Garrow, a Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer of Dr. King.
Has God mellowed out over the centuries?

Gail Collins ponders the ins and outs of the First Family's Thanksgiving. Here's what it looks like everybody else will be eating, by region.

I'd meant to post this "Rhymes with Orange" from weeks ago, but only remembered when I saw yesterday's Thanksgiving-themed strip.

***
I was quite surprised, when I brought in this morning's Post, at the volume of circulars that came with it. They rivaled the bulk of the newspaper itself, actually. Am I the only one that won't be shopping on Friday? I may be going to work, since my parents won't be here, in which case I might stop at some stores on the way home, by the time some of the crowds will have dissipated, but I certainly won't be standing outside of Target at 5am. I'm not trying to come off as an ethereal being who has transcended materialism--I was certainly shopping this time last year, and perhaps I'm shopped out (apart from clothes). But I still find the doorbuster phenomenon baffling.

No comments: