Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Response to comment

Well, March 8th is International Women's Day, and it's widely celebrated throughout the world, outside of the U.S.

As for bowing down in homage, nobody--or perhaps few people--are calling for that. What's more appropriate is acknowledging, recognizing that freedoms were fought for and didn't come automatically. And if we're not careful, they can go away. We don't know what will and won't be again, although I agree with you that it's highly unlikely that women in America will have trouble getting credit cards the way they did in the 1960s. Ask any woman living in Afghanistan in the early 1990s if she thought her daughters would have to risk their lives to go to school ten years later. Ask Chileans who survived the Pinochet regime whether they thought, beforehand, that there was a remote possibility they'd live in a police state. Think about some of the policies that still exist in U.S. states--Virginia, for example, is pretty backward in terms of women's rights in divorce cases. A friend of mine, whose husband cheated on her, was ordered by her lawyers not to leave their house before the divorce was final, or else he could accuse her of abandonment and gain advantage in the proceedings.

I agree--and I've written so on these pages many times--that guilt, lecturing, etc. are counterproductive. Nonetheless, it's important, for the sake of future progress, to acknowledge that change takes work, and initiative, and that things once unimaginable can be achieved. I think few of the pioneering women who got us from the 1960s to today are demanding "gratitude." What Gail Collins is saying is that it's great that we find it unfathomable that our mothers had trouble getting credit cards or were directed to the cafeteria when they applied for editing jobs. For that reason, it's worthwhile to take conscious note of how far we've come.

1 comment:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

You know International Women's Day doesn't count, especially since we barely acknowledge it here in the states.

I understand what you're saying about remembering our history, but it strikes me as patronizing in this context. Do older people really don't think we remember that women used not to have any rights? They keep on saying this to us and I really do think the underlying, passive-agressive message is "You young women aren't as good of feminists as we were." Maybe I'm reading between the lines, but the Collins article is the latest in a series of article's I've been reading that supposedly serve to "remind" us when we haven't forgotten. I mean, seriously, when was the last time you reminded somebody about anything without it being really patronizing? I know that's definitely my intention when I "remind" my sister about stuff I've done for her. I know she didn't forget, I'm just being obnoxious. And I find it hard to believe that all this "reminding" from older feminists comes without an agenda. That's all.