Saturday, November 7, 2009

Saturday Morning Roundup

The Post really needs to work on its story placement. Regular readers will recall that the other day, they ran a story about a cookie-dunking invention... right next to a story about a body cavity search machine. We all love a good fluff piece now and then, but running this piece about how gruesome the Peshawar market blast was opposite this airy piece on the philosophy of taste and people's deep personal experience with food and wine... is just in bad taste.

The Post may have a placement problem, but I apparently have an empathy problem. I'd read not long ago that not a few people were resentful toward people unaffected by the recession. While I'm not devoid of compassion for those hardest hit, I can't help but roll my eyes at others (you'll recall the woman who complained about having to get by on $300,000 a year). That's just one egregious example, but she's not the only one with a sense of entitlement. I find it really hard to feel bad for people who have to be told that buying their lunch (or their latte) every day adds up. Or people who are just no considering getting a roommate. That article itself says that roommates have long been a part of life in this area of very high rent. I understand that it's easy to feel broke here, given the region's abundance of very wealthy young people. But it never would have occurred to me to pay $1,200 for a one bedroom, recession or no recession, when I could pay just over half that to live with a roommate. Then again, that was in the course of my winning streak of sane roommates.

My closing costs were exactly as laid out in my good faith estimate. I'd recommend my lender to any of you.

A college admissions consultant implies that watching "The Daily Show" online is a sign that today's college students are wasting time that would be better used reading John Stuart Mill. She should give the show a chance--its viewers are among the best informed people in the country.

Gail Collins on this weekend in health care reform.

1 comment:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

Re: Roommates. I think I've told you before that I had extraordinary luck with roommates up until I was 28 and for whatever reason just figured out that I could not live with another person unless I was dating them. I needed my own space. However, I was only making $15 an hour. So I ended up, settling for a clean, one-room studio for $700/month in a safe neighborhood off the beaten path.

I often wonder what I would have done if I had been laid off from my job and hit with a recession during that time. I probably would have moved in with my sister in Chicago until I could find a job again.

But my heart really went out to the single mother that was now looking for a roommate for an apartment. That's a really horrible situation to be in and it must be so frustrating for her to have to worry about her child's safety re: a roommate.