Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sunday phone call

A.: Hello?
Mom: Where are you? What are you doing?
A.: I'm just outside, doing yardwork.
Mom: I've done a ton of yardwork-- we have so many leaves. You don't have that many trees.
A.: No, but my neighbors do. I don't mind... it's beautiful out.
Mom: Anyway, Tanya says we should get a Blue Russian (cat). She says they're very affectionate, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. You're cat's very affectionate, isn't she?
A.: She is.
Mom: See, that's not always a good thing. Anyway, what days do you have off for Thanksgiving.
A.: Just Thanksgiving Day, but I can take other days off depending on when you decide to come down.
Dad: Maybe we can fly.
Mom: Are you crazy? With all the stuff we have to bring her?
A.: Please don't clutter up my house, mom.
Mom: Anyway, we'll leave early Thursday morning.
A.: I don't believe you.
Dad: Why early? You're not going to be able to wake up early after the dinner. [A family friend passed away on the 25th several years ago, and my parents and other friends spend that evening with his widow].
Mom: Why not?
A.: Make sure to load up the car ahead of time, then.
Mom: Oh, please, like that's going to take any time.
A.: I don't know, mom. Last time you were supposed to leave "early" and you were loading up the car until noon. But it's your call--I'll be here. Just don't bring me too much stuff.
Mom: Oh, no, I'll bring you stuff. Oh, will you send me the name of that plant again?
A.: Sure.
Mom: How exactly did it die?
A.: I think I waited too long to bring it in.
Mom: When exactly did you bring it in?
A.: I don't know, mom.
Mom: When, approximately?
A.: I already told you--and I've told you before--that I don't remember.
Mom: Well, I need to know.
A.: Asking again isn't going to help me remember.
Mom: It might.
A.: Bye, mom.

No comments: