Monday, November 2, 2009

Rent

RM: Have a good day!
A.: Oh, would you leave the check for November rent, if you haven't already?
RM: You want me to leave it tonight?

What? Is he serious? What does when I want him to write the check have to do with anything? It's November. Rent is due.

A.: Ideally, if you could leave it before you leave for work today.
RM: Okay, I'll write it right now.

Is that supposed to be a huge favor?

RM: Is today the first or the 31st?
A.: Today is the 2nd.

I'm not sure what he's trying to do here. The 31st was Saturday, which was also Halloween. He could be genuinely confused, I suppose, or he could be covering up for the fact that he forgot. In any case, I've had to actually remind him about rent every month since July. It's reasonable to forget once, but he shouldn't need to be reminded every month. It's not about getting the money a day or two earlier (or in some cases, over a week later)--it's just the principle. I'm glad, in theory, that he's so comfortable living here, but he shouldn't be so comfortable that the reason for our cohabitation is that he pays rent.

***
I'm not that good about cleaning. I should clean more routinely, I should clean more deeply, etc. When I am good about cleaning is when dirt is visible. On Friday, I cleaned RM's cajun shrimp muck off the counter. Apparently, he had some again last night, because it was there again. I am regularly cleaning his stuff off the counters, and it hasn't always been this way. I don't mind wiping stuff off the counters (again, it's the principle), but I'd like him to do it himself, and to do it right after the offending substance hits the counter (or crumb tray, etc.).

The thing is, he's in the Navy. I know people in the Navy and they're super-anal about order and cleaning. I'm sure he can be that way, I'm sure he's naturally that way--which is why this bothers me more: in a way, it's a sign that he's making himself too much at home.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

hubby was in the Navy and is super anal about cleaning. drives me crazy sometimes what a neat freak he can be. if you recall, my desk at work was usually spotless and in order. he takes it one step further and puts stuff in its place at the end of the day. luckily it's hard to be that anal at home with 2 little kiddos.