Monday, November 2, 2009

Monday night roundup

This is going to be quick because it's been a very long day. But a very good one, too.

Maybe if RM cleaned more, I'd be less bitchy. Maybe. Actually, I doubt it. Maybe if he were less of an ass.

Time does this well but I'm sick of hearing this concept uncritically accepted. Eating well is not expensive if you use your head. Junk food is not a better value because it's not of value. Read the articles linked within, too.

Gail Collins interviewed and reviewed. As a Smithie, I was never prone to losing sight of the women who paved the way, and Ms. Collins makes a great point: it's wonderful, in a way, that people can lose sight of how things used to be not that long ago... until the remnants come around and slap you in the face.

2 comments:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

I don't clean. It's just never been my thing. But I don't really feel the need to be nicer either. On a related note, when my husband and I were downscaling our expenses in preparation for our baby, I proposed getting rid of the housekeeper and m/b I could take over the cleaning. His neat freak answer: "Maria cost less than marriage counseling."

It's funny b/c it's true.

Ernessa T. Carter said...

Oh, I go back and forth on the feminist homage issue. It feels a little like being grateful to Lincoln for signing the Emancipation Proclamation. Why should I have to thank anyone for freedoms I should enjoy in the first place? Black people will never be slaves again and women (in Ameria) will never have it so bad that they can't get credit cards again. That's something we can and should take for granted. Also, when older people accuse younger people of not being "grateful" it just never works out. Seriously, these women were fighting mostly to improve their own lots. Insisting now that we should bow down to them or risk losing our rights seems self-serving at best.

However, I do think we should have some sort of holiday to honor the Women's Liberation movement. It bothers me that the only holiday that honors women is Mother's Day.