Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday morning roundup

Can Libya quickly enough build the institutions it needs for a transition? What's the outlook for Saudi Arabia? Fouad Ajami beautifully comments on the events in the region--their basis in the past, as well as possibilities for the future, while Al-Jazeera pats itself on the back. As for the Administration's response--forgive me not only for resorting to cliche but also repeating the same one in the course of several days, on the same topic, but it just works, even in this mangled form: speaking loudly is much, much less important than being able to wield a stick.

You can officially, empirically tell people to stop whining about liberal academe.

This quote reminds me of the 'I'm not a feminist, but..." antics characterizing generations of younger women. It's like, I don't give a f* about anyone else--I'm not one of those tiresome agitators--but I'm going to take a stand against fracking because it makes my family sick. Were that not the case, my attitude may well be 'drill, baby drill.
“I’m not an activist, an alarmist, a Democrat, environmentalist or anything like that,” Ms. Gant said. “I’m just a person who isn’t able to manage the health of my family because of all this drilling.”
Look no further than Virginia for the kind of assault on women's rights that can be legislated when people start taking those rights for granted.

So, if the problem is seniority--and I'm not suggesting that seniority-based systems aren't a problem--why is that also necessarily a problem with collective bargaining? What get lots in funding cuts: views from Ken Burns and others. Also: Frank Rich on everything.

Ernessa, thank you for this, which I just saw. Much to comment on, in detail at some point. Guys do love the Malcolm Gladwell. I sometimes enjoy reading his work, sometimes tolerate it, and always find myself wishing he would get away from sports analogies. But your larger point is, reading matters. Reading the news matters, for sure, but I also find that reading fiction matters. Have you ever read "Smilla's Sense of Snow," or whatever it was called when it was published here, by Peter Hoeg? There's a line where she, or the narrator, says she just doesn't get people who don't read, and who proudly proclaim as much. She adds, it's like they're proclaiming that the world has nothing to teach them. Anyway, with regard to not reading fiction, I find a sort of stunted emotional intelligence there. Small sample size, but I'm just saying.

Allergies in kids are linked to low vitamin D levels. Please don't increase the amount of dairy your kids consume; get them out in the sun instead.

I'm with both Kelly Freston and Mark Bittman on this one, i.e. on the issue of fake meat. I'm with him in the sense that it's uber-processed, and with her in the sense that meat, too, can be uber-processed (how are most meat-based burgers more 'real' than most vegetarian burgers?). Sure, there are Kobe burgers, but there are also home-made black bean burgers. But commercial burgers of any kind are processed, packaged, and often full of nasty ingredients. I see fake meat as (1) the dietary equivalent of methadone; and (2) an occasional convenience food. And Kelly Freston acknowledges that. If you haven't watched Mark Bittman's talk, which she links to, please do.

A new, thought-provoking Gaughin exhibit opens at the National Gallery.

2 comments:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

Thanks for the link love! I had actually forgotten that I had written that post. But as I put strategies in place to keep my reading life in tact now that I've become a mother, it serves as a great reminder of why I go above and beyond to make time for the written word.

I went to a Smithie baby shower yesterday and couldn't stop talking about the two books I'd most recently read. What's funny is that all the other Smithies in attendance seemed to have books that they couldn't stop talking about either.

My husband is more of a news reader than a book reader, but there are two things I love about him: 1) he stays thoroughly informed on many world topics, even though he's in the entertainment business (that's really unusual), and 2) If I give him a book to read, he reads it. It begun with FREAKENOMICS in the early blush of our dating life, and I've been pleasantly surprised to find that his willingness to read what I tell him to read has extended to after marriage and kids. Right now, he's reading the HUNGER GAMES trilogy on my recommendation. And I happily serve as both his and my young daughter's curator.

You are right about the emotional intelligence of people who don't read. I much prefer when someone admits that they no longer have the attention span or perhaps the time to read -- that I can almost understand, though I usually follow those excuses with a suggestion that he or she try audiobooks, which allow you to do other things while you listen. When someone tells me that they don't read without a hint of apology, that's when I pretty much know we're not going to ever be friends. Our value systems are just too different. Though, I continue to enjoy the music of Kanye West.

Tmomma said...

i had to lol about your comment about not increasing dairy for more vit D only b/c for my allergy child, if i increased his dairy he'd die...anyway, sometimes it helps to find humor in these things. these studies are so difficult though b/c allergy kid has had allergies since birth and we def let the kids outside as often as possible. and both should have good levels of vit D. wonder how many kids in those studies were Dairy allergy and were already low on vit D?