Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Notes on vegan party planning (suggestions welcome)

Have you noticed--and I'm not sure how this is possible--that Evite has gotten a lot less user-friendly?

***
Food planning for the first vegan/quasi-macrobiotic AVD party is coming along, albeit a few decisions remain:

-I've always done endive boats--they make a fantastic appetizer--but they almost inevitably involve cheese or mayo to hold the contents together. I don't do vegannaise, and that flavor doesn't go with the taste I'm trying to crate. The filling will be roasted vegetables (red peppers, artichokes, kalamata olives, mushrooms)... and now I need a binder and a topping. In the past, I've topped with hazelnuts, but I don't know that those will work with this. I'm already using pecans for the eggplant involtini. Anyway, don't want to use anything too starchy or fishy (i.e. ground flax) for the binder. Any suggestions? Might just do some silken tofu blended with olive oil and herbs.
-seasonings for the kabocha dumplings? maybe a drop of miso, but not a lot.
-ube tarts with coconut frosting, or ube-coconut tarts?
-what to use in the pea dumplings in lieu of parmesan. can't use nutritional yeast--it'll turn people's stomachs upside down if they're not used to it (and I imagine they're not).
-are the pie and brownies going to clash with rather than complement the already strongly flavored ice "cream"?

I don't usually do this (it hasn't occurred to me, and I'm often scrambling come party time) but I'll take pictures of what will be the awesome vegan party food. I'll take some pictures of the food in progress--spring rolls look cooler before they're wrapped, after all.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

the only other binders i can think of off the top of my head are bananas, though they'll impact the flavor and applesauce but that's usually for baking. the silken tofu may be your best bet.

when you saw my old boss a few weeks back did he tell you about what's going on at work?