Saturday, February 26, 2011

Phone call

A.: I just talked to M. She's fine--she's out of the hospital and her operation is in two weeks.
Mom: I know, I talked to E. She gave me the details, and told me about her useless, ungrateful kids. From what I understand, they're even worse than you are.
A.: [Shrug]

Mom gets one of those in from time to time--a dig from out of nowhere. Like, "they're such wonderful people--so warm and welcoming. Everything unlike you." I don't really understand what she gets out of it, or how she manages to complain that I don't call often enough (really?) and in no way connects her nastiness to that. Which is fair enough; I don't actually not call because I don't want to deal with mom. I don't not call. It's actually amazing that I don't call less because I don't want to deal with mom.

A.: I tried to access your subscription on the Better Homes and Gardens website. It said that your subscription had been canceled.
Mom: Oh, that's because it's 'Good Housekeeping.'
A.: [shakes head]
Mom: I guess I'll write them.
A.: Or just call them.
Mom: I want to express how unfair their practice is.
A.: Or you could just get them to stop billing you.

No comments: