Thursday, February 3, 2011

All-over-the-place roundup

I find Richard Cohen's suggestion overly simplistic and short-sighted. See here for a more nuanced perspective.

***
This review of Stanley Fish's new book is awesome and timely. I was just having this conversation with Mirella either before 'Alvin Ailey' or during one of the intermissions.

Mirella: Alexa [her daughter], upon seeing an amazing dance performance, criticized me for not putting her in dance lessons. I told her 'you either have it or you don't.'
A.: I couldn't disagree with you more.
M.: Really?
A.: Absolutely.
M.: It's natural talent.
A.: And a lot of practice.
M.: Practice will get you nowhere if you don't have talent.
A.: You can discover talent if you practice.
M.: I've seen amazing technical dancers who lack soul.
A.: That's true... soul matters. But technical skill helps you find your soul when you have something to say.
M.: If you were to seek artistic expression, what medium would you use?
A.: Writing.
M.: Can't be taught. [Her father was a renowned writer and poet].
A.: Of course it can!
M.: Maybe prose, but not poetry.
A.: Perhaps; but prose can also be art.

***
Mirella also took a good five minutes telling me how good my skin looked. She said I looked years younger. To be honest, I can't really tell the difference anymore, but hearing it doesn't get old. I don't know if it's an absence of animal products or a surge in winter vegetables, or a combination of both, but I guess it's working. But here's how I really know my ship has come in: undone hair is in.

No comments: