Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday evening roundup and rant

It's ironic that I even bothered to celebrate AVD, given that, where I live and where I work, today is known as the eagerly anticipated day that Cupid hits us with his funding request for the year to come. Let's drink to that! (Let's just not drink that much).

I trust you all will ignore National Snack Food Month anyway, so there's no need to entreat you to boycott whatever the f* it is.

It's hard for me to believe that so many people view healthy food as inherently not tasty, but it's sort of depressing that we (the Economist, for example) turn to Big Food to make "good" food healthier. How about this: stop. eating. processed. food. Put as much oil and salt on your real food as you want--it'll still be better for you than reduced fat/reduced sodium processed $hit.

The other night, I hosted a party at which I served lots of healthy food. At no point did anyone say, "actually, could I have some Doritos?" Don't get me wrong--I thought Doritos' Superbowl ads were hilarious, but also hilariously ironic, because that's exactly what's not going to bring you (or your plants, or your fish) back to life. Although you could do a lot worse. But I digress. All I'm saying is, people at the party were eating their vegetables without making a big deal out of eating their vegetables. A couple of coworkers who came to the party told me today how amazingly good the food was (yay!), and one person commented on the originality of a number of the dishes. I've made food for other occasions where I heard one or two people way, in a much less complimentary tone, that they couldn't tell what anything was, to which I rolled my eyes and refrained from saying, 'don't let me stop you from eating cheese puffs instead.' It's just that, as you know, I'm attracted to irony and absurdity, and both come into play when people--not my friends, but some people--say things like, "I could never eat the way you do: I like food too much," when so little of what they eat is actually food. I love food--love it. That's why I eat food.

No comments: