Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Oh and response to comment

Can't really use banana or applesauce for a savory dish (I mean, I want it to taste like roasted vegetables, not like banana). In fact, the brownies I'm making call for banana, but I'm substituting frozen raspberries, because when I first made them according to the recipe, the banana flavor was overwhelming. The silken tofu is a gamble--I'm aiming to simulate the texture and, to some extent, flavor of goat cheese--but it should be pretty cohesive once blended with olive oil.

On that note, I am *in love* with Olave. I really liked Colavita organic, but I switched to Spectrum to try it (a Grist review of organic olive oils recommended it)--it's not awful, but it's not great. Just switched to Olave, and it is amazingly flavorful. So I think I'll blend that with some silken tofu, rosemary, and basil. I don't need the veggies drowning in the mixture--just a little something to anchor them in the endive leaf.

Here's another substitution question: my falafel recipe calls for a couple tablespoons of flour. I don't want to use white flour--maybe I can use chickpea flour?

For the ube pie, I decide to make ube truffles instead. I'll mix the ube with coconut milk and soy milk, maybe with some arrowroot, and then roll in dry coconut and crushed hazelnut. The nice thing about non-bake desserts is that you can experiment as you go--if the first one comes out gross, I can adjust the recipe.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

i'd probably skip adding anything to the veggie mix, veggies are good on their own and i've totally failed anytime i've tried to mock cheese in a dish.

alternatively, i did a google search and you could do endives with a white bean dip, may even be something easier to make and more common to people's palette's than a tofu mixture. i personally avoid adding extra soy in my cooking for a couple of reasons, 1 being i'm usually able to find something else as a sub, like applesauce in brownies instead of tofu and 2 because my kids have more than enough soy in their diet since it's their milk.