Thursday, February 3, 2011

Phone call

I just had one of those mildly infuriating conversations with my parents, throughout the course of which I actively made a point to, and succeeded in, keeping a level tone, even when mom started to raise her voice.

Dad: We're still digging out, but it's nice to have had a couple of days without snowfall. How is it where you are?
A.: Not bad at all. It hasn't snowed since last Friday.
Dad: Still snow on the ground?
A.: Yeah, but it's manageable.
Dad: When did we last talk?
A.: Saturday.
Dad: Oh, yeah--the fence guy was outside. Did he come in with an estimate?
A.: Yup: $2,200.
Dad: What was the first one again?
A.: $1,670.
Dad: What are you going to do?
A.: Take a couple of weeks to think about whether I live without a fence in my front yard and go from there. I really, really don't want to spend the money.
Dad: And yet, it's gotten to the point where you're clearly thinking about it.
A.: It's a functional thing: if I have a fence, people feel less free to walk into my yard. When I got back from Boston, I found wrapping paper in my recycling bin, which is to the side of my house. I'm just not thrilled with people walking through the yard.
Dad: Makes sense. You don't want to just by the panels?
A.: No, we've been over this: I can't use pre-fab panels because they don't fit my yard, which is 14'+3'+12.5'. There's no way to make panels that come in 5' or 6' segments work with that. I mean, there is on the 12.5' side, but not on the 14' side, even with an asymmetrical gate.
Mom: You should get more than one estimate.
A.: I've gotten two. I'm ready to either get this done or let it go.
Mom: And then it will just fall down like the back fence.
A.: Totally different situation, mom. It's aluminum, and it's short.
Mom: That doesn't mean it won't fall down! You'll pay all that and it can still fall down!
A.: It's guaranteed. It's just still expensive.
Mom: How much are the panels?
A.: The panels are not the point. Did you hear what I just told dad?
Mom: I picked up in the middle of that.
A.: [repeats the symmetry issue].
Dad: So the $1600 includes labor?
A.: Yeah.
Mom: It may still fall down.
A.: [Shrug]
Mom: Don't you have people you can ask about this stuff?
A.: No. Whom am I supposed to ask about this stuff? That would be the subset of people in this area who have houses that didn't already come with fences, who have had them installed. Actually, I was talking to one of my colleagues about this, and he said he was surprised the first estimate, which was the only one I'd had at the time, hadn't come in for more. The second guy told me they charge an additional $650 if you require less than 75' of fencing.
Mom: Well, can't you find someone handy to help?
A.: Help with what?? Welding the metal? Because that's the alternative to buying it and getting it installed.
Mom: Well, consider all your options.
A.: I will.

***
I don't know why people feel the need to repeat platitudes when you're in the process of making a complicated decision. It's just not helpful. At least they're kind of supportive.

No comments: