Sunday, February 20, 2011

Phone call

My mother is hilarious

Yesterday
Mom: What were you doing?
A.: Just now?
Mom: You let the phone ring!
A.: I was scooping out the litter box. I just switched to flushable litter...
Mom: What a waste of water!
A.: It's much more sustainable than throwing all that clay in the trash!
Mom: No! It uses too much water.
A.: To be clear, I don't scoop it out and flush it every time she goes. Not that it matters.
Mom: You should feed her differently.
A.: She would still poop, mom.
Dad: Unless you stopped feeding her ;).
A.: That is an option. Except it's not, because I couldn't handle any more whining.
Mom: You could compost it.
A.: I'm not sure cat poop is best for one's garden.
Dad: No, but you could bury it once the ground softens. Not necessarily all in one place.
A.: Could we talk about something else now, please?
Dad: Do you have Monday off? I just found out that I have Monday off.
A.: I suggested a while ago that you come visit this weekend. It's my first non-headless-chicken weekend in ages.
Mom: We'll visit another weekend.
A.: When's your knee operation?
Mom: End of March. But we could come before then.
A.: Well, let's wait until you can walk easily.
Mom: When are you traveling? April?
Dad: May. She'll be away for her birthday.

[Expect the 'when are you traveling?' conversation to repeat regularly over the next couple of months]

Mom: It's going to be hot.
A.: Of course it is. That's why the cost of the trip fell within my price range.
Mom: How long are you going for?
A.: Nine days.
Mom: That doesn't make sense.
Dad: It's really not a good use of travel time.
A.: I realize that, but it's what's feasible in terms of finances and taking time off work.
Mom: No. You should travel the way Sasha travels.
A.: Sasha is retired. And his house is paid off. I'm traveling the way I can, now.
Mom: Suit yourself.

1 comment:

wwc said...

Enviro comment: I read that it's better to trash the litter than put it in the toilet, because of pathogens and such in that - um - material. Haven't verified independently, but check out http://www.moderncat.net/2008/11/13/toilet-training-your-cat/ Apologies if you've already encountered this!