Friday, February 11, 2011

Phone call

Mom: So, we're having TV issues.
A.: Did it come with a warranty?
Mom: It's not the TV; it's RCN.
A.: Oh.
Mom: So, my question for you is, what do you call that, when the TV... you know... when the picture comes in and out, but very quickly.
A.: Um... I'm not sure...
Mom: Sure you are.
A.: I'd probably say that the picture was cutting out.
Mom: No, that's not it.
A.: Well, that's what you'd say if you were on the phone with someone. If the connection went in and it, you'd say they were "cutting out."
Mom: Really? That's weird. I don't think that's right. How would you say it when a person does it--like, if someone has a speech impediment.
A.: You'd say they "stuttered," but you'd never use that to describe a television picture.
Mom: "Studded"?
A.: "Stuttered."
Mom: Spell it for me.
A.: Why don't I just e-mail it to you. Honestly, though, it's not the word you're looking for. You can tell them that the picture cuts out... maybe that it flickers in and out.
Mom: Okay. Anyway, what else is up? What's the cat up to?
A.: She's looking out the back door. I'll let her out... and then she'll want to come back in two seconds later.
Mom: Have you thought about getting her a cat door?
A.: I don't want her going out when I'm not here. And I wouldn't put it past her to stand half-in, half-out while she's thinking about where she wants to be, for minutes at a time.
Mom: We could give you ours. Maybe not, though. We might get another cat one day.

I've been encouraging my parents to get a cat, but they insist that it wouldn't be fair to the cat because they'd only compare it to C., the cat I grew up with, who died years ago. We all miss her, but it's not like the new cat is going to care about being compared to a legend--it'll just be happy to be adopted.

A.: Okay. Sounds good. I'll e-mail you the words.

No comments: