Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday afternoon roundup

People can't stop writing about the Cold War, but the Post's reviewers love all the books. Definitely on my list is this one, about a prominent Hungarian family's experience under totalitarianism.

This is a right-on article about what really sets kids back in terms of education. I tutor here and there, and not one of the kids that has been referred for tutoring has a live-in father.

People's stereotypes can overwhelm their better judgment. I was telling someone--an extremely class-conscious someone--about the Seaport Foundation. His response was, "what, for kids brought in from DC?" Um, there are plenty of home-grown poor kids in Alexandria, actually.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

The education article was great. I find that we're constantly teaching Roo and have learned how he learns best, now I only hope that public school will challenge him and nurture him so he enjoys learning.