Saturday, October 24, 2009

RM update

To his credit, he did sweep this morning. To his uncredit, he left an unholy amount of bagel crumbs in the toaster crumb tray. But there was some other stuff of that other category: inoffensive but eye-roll inspiring.

RM: Wow! You're like a gourmet chef!
A.: I'm just chopping vegetables.

But that's how people who don't eat vegetables react to the sight of vegetables: "look at all the pretty colors!" I really wasn't even cooking--just prepping. No herbs or spices were out. No ingredients were mixed together. Vegetables were sliced, tofu was bricked (he asked what it was, and then what it was made of), and vegetables and tofu were roasted.

By the way, I never gave much thought about olive oil quality until I bought Colavita, at the advice of Cook's Illustrated (it was the only oil under $30/available in supermarkets that they deemed acceptable). I ran out, and bought Whole Foods' organic olive oil at the advice of Grist. SO not the same. Thankfully, Colavita has an organic oil that's only slightly more expensive. I'll keep the 365 oil for everyday use, but when you can taste the oil, the difference really stands out. I'm going to make some olive oil-pinot noir cookies-- I think I can use the 365 stuff for that. But I digress.

Anyway, RM was here most of the morning. He went out for a run, and shortly thereafter, I took my bike to do some food shopping. I came back and decided to prep the veggies right away, as I didn't have much fresh food. I cleaned a bit and read the Post while they were roasting. RM popped downstairs occasionally, saw what I was doing. So why did he feel the need to ask me how my day has been so far? I mean, I know he's just being friendly, but that's my point: that level of friendliness doesn't agree with me. It strikes me as unnatural, unnecessary. Who the f* CARES how my day so far has been?

No comments: