Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday afternoon roundup

The Post didn't think much of "Hungry," but I'm posting it here because one aspect of the review stood out, and related to the "meformism" I metablogged about this morning: much of the book apparently reads like a diary-- the unglamorous details of someone else's life, uninteresting to pretty much anyone other than the reader, and yet so often broadcast these days through social media (and now this book, which is said to have redeeming qualities for those with a personal stake in its subject area). It doesn't have to be that way-- I told you how much I enjoyed reading the memoir of another food writer, Ruth Reichl. She made it interesting. She wrote about food without telling you how she liked her oreos.

This book on the WTO seems interesting, although I don't think I'll read it. Which won't stop me from using it to argue with the haters.

Kathleen Parker has the most simple yet comprehensive take I've read so far on the Polanski situation. This one takes the cross-cultural perspective and is also worth a read. As is, as always, what Eve Ensler has to say.

No comments: