Monday, October 19, 2009

The dude just doesn't learn

Nor do I, I suppose, since I continue to be amazed at his lack of learning. Things had been good, as they usually are when either or both of us makes oneself scarce. I'd hardly seen him during the week, and he was away all weekend, to walk in, conveniently, just after I started an episode of "Mad Men" (this month's whole netflix subscription went to watching the first season). We said hello, asked about one another's weekend. In and of itself, the following exchange wasn't offensive.

RM: All packed and ready to go?
A.: No, I'll pack tomorrow morning. Less wrinkling.
RM: I realized you'll be away the whole work week. I thought, "I'll miss her!"
A.: You'll have Gracie.

Later, I took out the trash, and moved two empty V8 cans and an empty pudding cup into the recycling bin.

This morning, I came downstairs, exchanged 'good mornings' and took to making my breakfast. He went about gathering his work stuff. Then he just stopped and looked at me, so I stopped what I was doing and looked up. He said goodbye and wished me a good week; I did the same and continued about my business. I could see that he was positioning himself to approach me for a hug, so I made a point of not turning to look at him or acknowledge him in any other way. It worked: he left.

Now why would he think I'd want to engage in a hug with him? Honestly. Some people never learn.

No comments: