Thursday, May 14, 2009

We're there

He finally got it.

There have been several false alarms with regard to his getting it. I thought, for example, last night that he got it. And then, an hour or so ago, as I was getting ready to watch The Daily Show, this:

RM: So, what did you do today?
A.: Nothing worth talking about.
RM: Perhaps you'd be up for a guitar lesson?
A.: Errr....
RM: I brought it here just for you.

Yes, I've noticed that you placed it on the papasan and left it there. And I actually do like to sit on that thing.

A.: I don't know. I'll think about it.

I put my headphones on and proceeded to watch the show. Afterward, I took my headphones off.

RM: A., did I do something to upset you?

[Pause, while I think about how to answer that]

RM: I guess I'm just not sure when to talk to you... or whether to talk to you.

I'm not going to feel guilty about upsetting him, because, like I've said, my signals about when to talk or not talk to me have grown increasingly less subtle. I mean, how many times do I have to say some variation of, 'not much' in response to 'what did you do today' before it hits him that I will never answer that question more substantively? Also, it's not like I'm not talking to him so I can stare at the wall; he sees me sitting here surrounded by books, magazines and a laptop.

A.: I'm generally not interested in talking. Especially when I'm working on something, reading, or watching television. But no, it's not you.
RM: As long as it's not me.

Part of me feels a little bit guilty, but another part refuses to: I don't owe him anything apart from a room. I don't owe him social interaction. I don't owe him any of my time. I'll acknowledge that I could have made that more clear, but how the f* was I supposed to know that he was looking for a roommate-friend combination? I never said or did anything to indicate that that's what I wanted. Any pouting on his part just pisses me off more. I mean, grow up.

At least it's resolved.

No comments: