Friday, May 8, 2009

Phone call

Last night

Mom: V.!
A.: Mom, could you PLEASE not scream into the phone??
Mom: People have been calling me all day on your behalf. Well, on my behalf. Natasha came by yesterday, I gave her some flowers to transplant. It was challenging to dig them up-- perhaps they knew I was mad at her.
A.: Why were you mad at her?
Mom: Because of Obama.
A.: You're not mad at me?
Mom: You're different. You didn't live through what we lived through; she did. We know all too well how these well-spoken people turn around and destroy the country.
A.: I'm not following your logic: being articulate is not a predictor of country-destroying tendencies, although I'll grant you they have co-occurred. But look at Bush: he destroyed the country and could barely put two sentences together.
Mom: You'll see.
A.: No, you'll see.
Mom: So, you're celebrating tomorrow?
A.: Yeah, low-key. Pretty much an extension of the girls' night we used to do.
Mom: What are you making?

I tell her.

Mom: No, no, no. You should make mushrooms!
A.: I like to stick with finger food.
Mom: Well, you should at least...
A.: I'm not taking suggestions at this point, mom.

No comments: