Thursday, May 14, 2009

Roommate update

He's gotten much better, or at least he's been too busy to bother me. No, we were both around on Monday night, and he didn't keep trying to talk to me while I was preparing for a tutoring session the next day. I was kind of hoping he would be around a little yesterday, so I could point out the crumb tray in the toaster oven and explain that if it remained covered in crumbs, it would come to draw cockroaches, but he was in his room all evening so I had to erase the evidence, for obvious reasons, and talk about it this morning amid a clean crumb tray, which is hardly as compelling.

Usually we're not downstairs at the same time, but this morning we were. Now, as you may have figured, I am a morning person, so whereas other people don't want to be spoken to in the morning because they're half asleep-- that's actually the way I tend to be in the evening-- I don't like to be spoken to in the morning because I'm getting ready for work. I also am not a fan of small talk-- I understand that sometimes it's a necessary social evil, but in that case it should be brief, drive-by. It should, under no circumstances, be prolonged.

As such, the first part of the interaction was fine:

RM: How are you?
A.: Good. How are you?
RM: Good.

We could have left it at that, i.e. with my eating my breakfast in peace.

RM: What do you have on your plate today?

No, no, no, no. (In case you were wondering, my response was, 'I don't know'). I feel the same hostility to this question as I do to 'how was your day,' which I take to imply 'how was your day at work,' since the day itself is not yet over. And that feeling is, 'who the f* cares, it's work? Why would I want to either talk about it beforehand or rehash it afterward? And you certainly don't care, so why are you wasting my time by requesting an answer? That question has as much utility as his asking Gracie, when he returned on Sunday night, how her weekend was. And not because she couldn't meaningfully answer, but because if she could, she would say, 'it was a weekend. I did the same thing I do every day. Who the f* cares?' Maybe one of these days he'll ask her about her daily routine. That would be a fascinating conversation indeed.

I know he's just trying to be nice. I just don't get the way his social mind works.

No comments: