Saturday, May 9, 2009

Now that I'm up...

...and cranky...

...I'm going to ramble.

First of all, this needs to stop. It's not even funny anymore.

You know what is funny, though? This.

Anyway, moving on: I'm going to overanalyze the canvasser, or at least incorporate his intrusion onto my afternoon into my ongoing rant against roommate-- who has gotten better, so this is essentially academic.

Just like I didn't hold it against RM for trying to make conversation--but did wonder how someone at his age/stage of career could be so socially stupid--I don't hold it against canvasser for waking me up. Who naps in the afternoon, anyway? I was up late last night; I don't sleep past 6am; and I had a brunch to go to, okay? But I made it pretty plain that I wanted to return to my napping state and was in no mood to talk politics, so I have to wonder why he thought that, given my predisposition at that moment, I would be receptive to anything he said.

Am I giving people too much credit, or am I being too hard on them, or am I asking too much? I don't think so, but I have to wonder, especially after my fellow brunchgoers turned on me.

Here's what happened: Marisa and Beth invoked their crazy, stalkerish roommate, and I recalled Tasha and Marcela's crazy, litigous roommate, and I made a comment about whether after this lease runs out whether I should rethink this whole roommate concept. I was asked about the roommate, and I credit it to my even-handedness in the telling that all of the sudden people were taking his side. Comments ranged from 'he's probably lonely' to 'it's because you own the house and don't want to share.' My response to the first was unspoken: I don't care why he was doing it; to the second, I protested: "No, no, no, no. I've had a roommate for the last ten years. This isn't about sharing space."

It's not that I'm unwilling to question the reasonableness of my position; it's that, they're wrong. Really.

There was also some of that annoying unsolicited advice ("well, talk about it"). I'm dealing with the situation. I'm just telling you about it, since you asked.

Yes, I know that in the scheme of roommate offenses-- from stalking, suing, stealing, noise, filth, etc.--being unrelentlessly social is hardly something to complain about. In fact, you'll notice that I've (a) dealt with it; and (b) traded complaining about it for social-commenting on it. Nonetheless, I don't think it's fair to make me out to be the bitch in this situation for wanting some time to myself.

Perhaps I'm also undisposed to taking seriously housing advice from people who can afford their homes because they have a second income, as well as family support. If I were those people, I would shut the f* up. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go take out my compost.

No comments: