Monday, May 25, 2009

Hey there

Hello everyone! This is going to be quick since I'm as burnt out and sleep-deprived as can be, albeit from a fun-filled weekend.

This will also be rambling... since I don't have the energy to put together a coherent post... so fasten your seatbelts.

-On kids: Wendy and I went to the zoo on Friday. Most of the kids were, indeed, annoying, especially the ones screaming "ROAR," in unison, repeatedly, at the lion. We were in the hippo area, admiring the booty-licious Happy the Hippo, when I heard a parent behind me say to his son, "let's wait our turn, and then we'll look." I immediately ceded my place to that hero and his son. Hooray for parenting!

-On homeownership: I loved having a full house, an I loved being able to accommodate a full house. It was a great time, and a great space for a great time. Also, not that you care, but my backyard is coming together, largely thanks to Wendy's help. While the mint's not as happy in its new container as it was in the ground. Still, I'm not taking any chances after reading that article about lead in urban gardens-- everything edible will get planted in containers.

-On roommate: He was pretty inoffensive while Wendy was here--largely because she and I were out all Tuesday night, and he got in late Wednesday night--although he managed to sneak in a few dickish comments of the 'trying too hard' sort. He was as inoffensive as possible for most of the rest of the weekend, by virtue of taking off Thursday morning not to be seen until about 5pm this afternoon, just when I was about to take Martha and Tracy to the airport. This glorious, every-other-weekend disappearing act is a large part of why I picked him in the first place. Anyway, I was glad Martha got a chance to meet him after all, and his behavior very much fit the narrative. I was upstairs when he came in. Apparently, there were introductions, and then something like the following:

RM: So, what did you do this weekend?
Martha: We did a lot... yesterday we went to the National Arboretum.
RM: And then what did you do?
Martha: We came back here and had pizza...
RM: How many of you were there?
Martha: Five in all...
RM: So, what else did you do?
Martha: Today we went to the National Gallery and saw some of the Memorial Day Parade.

Were there a few more "and then what"s? I'll let Martha fill in the blanks. I do know that when I came downstairs, I said hello to RM and suggested to Martha that we put her stuff in the car. We talked logistics for a minute or two. Meanwhile, RM just stood there. And kind of moped, apparently because he wasn't being invited into the conversation. It was weird. I'm not saying he was expected to go away, but he wasn't really doing anything-- he was just standing there, listening to us, to a conversation in which he couldn't possibly have a role. And looked mopey. He and I had a few "How was your w/e-it was good" exchanges.

I got back a few hours later-- what's a trip to Dulles without a stop at Banana Republic Petites on the way back, when you have a gift card expiring in a week (yes, Banana Republic sends me gift cards for my birthday) and if you go home, you'll have to talk to your roommate.

RM: How was your weekend?
A.: It was great. How was yours?
RM: It was good.

Five minutes later

RM: So, how was your weekend?


RM: Was it good having all your friends here?
A.: Yeah, I really enjoyed seeing everyone.

He's been more or less inoffensive and kept asking if I needed help with anything, so I can't complain.



On Gracie: She was on her best behavior--didn't bring out anyone's allergies, and didn't go around waking anyone up. She did jump on my pillow, the day after I washed my sheets. Little rat.

On TV: Thank heavens that the Daily Show is in repeats this week and that How I Met Your Mother is out for the season. I need a week to catch up on reading.

Okay, goodnight!

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

on a side note, it just occurred to me that this is turning into a roommate blog.....needless to say, i'm entertained :)