Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Reverse anthropomorphism

I found myself feeling like kind of a jerk for being annoyed at RM for trying to be helpful, which made me think of the animal type personality compatibility theory. Have I ever told you about this? It came together--I'd like to say on a napkin in a bar, but I'm not that cool--over five years ago, from listening to someone talk about why his fiancee broke up with him. She told him that he was like a dog-- always loyal, devoted, there-- which was great sometimes, but it was just too much. And this is pretty much how my roommate has been recently. When I got home, I heard the smoke alarm beep-- it had started that morning and I know he must of heard it-- and let him know that I'd bought a replacement battery. Next thing I knew, he was up and ready to install it. I told him I'd gladly do it-- I was just letting him know--but he insisted, and instantly changed the battery. Which was nice. Gave me a head start on the laundry.

RM: Can I do anything to help?
A.: No, thank you.

Five minutes later

RM: Can I do anything to help?
A.: No.

Dude, you spent five hours driving back here and have stuff to do. I'm not going to accept your help with the laundry, because that would be like getting your help for cleaning up a big party that you weren't invited to. Besides, what are you going to do? It's a one person job.

Within the next hour, as I was taking out the trash

RM: Can I do anything to help?
A.: No, thank you.

This morning, as I was getting ready for work

RM: When are you heading out?
A.: In 20-30 minutes or so.
RM: I could wait, give you a ride to the metro.
A.: Oh, that's nice, but thanks-- I'm happy to walk.

I know I should be grateful, but it was just over the top. Sure, it was raining, but that's why the creator invented rain gear. It's just too much to offer to be late for work to give me a ride to the metro. It just is.

Anyway, back to the theory, now that we've established the puppy dog extreme of the spectrum.

Around the time that I heard this other person's breakup story, I had recently gotten out of a relationship at the other extreme, as I had come to understand that the guy's idea of an ideal relationship was modeled on his relationship with the Burmese python he kept around: requires very infrequent interaction, at his convenience. Now, we've established that I like to do my own thing, but taking it to that level doesn't really work with people (just as, as far as I'm concerned, the puppy end of the spectrum isn't healthy). By the way, my roommate has poodles at home.

And I have a cat, and coincidentally or not, I'm all about cat-like relationships, platonic and otherwise: independence is a virtue.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

hmm...what types of stories do you think he blogs about you....just saying, maybe his wife is telling him to go out of his way to help you to get you to open up and be his friend....that's all i can think of to explain what he's doing.....not passing judgment, just making an observation to help you manage this relationship :)