Sunday, October 12, 2008

We're still on this?

A family friend came by.

Friend: Congratulations, head of household.
A.: Why thank you.
Friend: Have you closed already?
A.: Nope, I close on Halloween.
Friend: Did you get a good rate?
A.: It was okay. [I explain the financing I ended up with].
Friend [who works in finance]: That's actually pretty good! And a second mortgage is better than PMI.
A.: It's not bad. The week before I bought, rates were way down.
Mom: They're going down again now...
A.: Actually, that's not going to have a direct effect on mortgages.
Mom: Yes, it is.
Friend: No, at least not immediately.
Mom: I've discovered this wonderful bakery run by a nice Russian woman. You have to try it.

Later, as friend is leaving. Mom is in the other room.

Dad: Mom doesn't miss an opportunity to tell everyone what a mistake it was for you to major in psychology, what a dead end career move that was.
A.: How did this come up?
Dad: Vika, the woman who runs the bakery, is an engineer by vocation. She loves her new career.
A.: Good for her.
Dad: Right. The point being, Mom's profound understanding of the American system of higher education doesn't square with that. As for your psych degree, she tells anyone who will listen. It's one of her favorite stories. She emphasizes what a bad career move it is.
Friend: Yes, that choice really seems to have set you back in life.

Friend leaves

Mom: I guess you did get a good mortgage rate after all.

Give me some f*ing credit. I did my research (and asked the right people for advice). Does she have to hear it from someone else to think I've done something right?

No comments: