Friday, October 10, 2008

Things continue to deteriorate

A.: We had a really nice walk. Martha's doing well.
Mom: Did you know that you are one of 17% of the country that approves of the Democratic Congress?
A.: I don't recall saying that. That's why I don't like having these discussions with you-- you're very good at putting words in my mouth and oversimplifying what I've said.

I did not say, "Did you know that I'm one of 17% of the country that can identify Iraq and Afghanistan on a map, much less demonstrate at least basic information about both countries, and for that reason, I could give a fuck what the other 83% thinks?"

***
Mom, to dad: You know, it might make sense to buy your company's stock.
Dad: Yes... it fell today, but...
Mom: I know it fell, everything fell.
Dad: I know you know. Can I now finish my sentence? Anyway, I do think it is a good time to buy it. The stock fell but the cash flow is good. I can only imagine what it's like for smaller companise...
Mom: Everything fell...
Dad: Could I finish?

***
I was already blogging the above when...

Mom: What time are you meeting Jason?
A.: Around 11:30.
Mom: Is that where you once took sailing lessons?
A.: Yes. [I knew immediately where this would go].
Mom: Oh, what we didn't try to teach you. Dance, swimming... do you remember when you first started swimming?

Pause

Mom: Do you?
A.: YES! I'm busy. Can we discuss this later?
Mom: NO! You are so rude! Big deal, you're busy!
A.: ...
Mom: SHUT UP!

No comments: