Tuesday, October 14, 2008

IM and overheard phone call

nina: Hi!
me: hey!
are you coming tonight?
nina: Of course!
What time are we supposed to arrive?
me: 7pm
and my tacky mother says that she wants nothing but lottery tickets for her bday
nina: Really?
me: yes
nina: REALLY?
me: she thinks she's doing people a favor by making that known
I'm just the messenger
nina: Like scratch tickets or lottery tickets?
me: I don't think she cares
gotta go clean before I get yelled at
see you tonight
nina: Ok - bye!

***

So why am I not cleaning? Mom's on the phone, so I can't exactly vacuum. She's on the phone with a friend who won't stop talking about trying to set me up with her sons. Whom I've not met. I was cleaning in the next room over, where I overheard one end of the conversation:

Mom: I doubt it. She just bought a house there and she really likes her job.

Pause

Mom: To be honest, we don't talk about those things, so I don't know. I don't know whether she wants to get married. I think she wants to have children eventually, but she doesn't necessarily want to get married.

Pause

Mom: I don't know. It's really hard to say.

***
I was going to end this by giving mom the credit due... until she just came up to me and said,

Mom: Maria has very serious plans for you regarding her sons.
A.: That's her problem.
Mom: That's what I told her. One is 40 and one is 31. How old are you? 33?
A.: You don't know how old I am?
Mom: Shrug.

No comments: