Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mom's birthday, continued

The evening was relatively peaceful... mom spazzed, of course, but that's to be expected. The greatest melodrama came after the main course, when I went to get the cheesecakes we'd gotten.

Mom: What kind of cheesecake did you get?
A.: Peppermint.
Mom: WHAT? WHY? YOU LIKE PEPPERMINT-- OTHER PEOPLE DON'T LIKE PEPPERMINT.
A.: Um, you knew these were peppermint when we got them. Besides, I'm sure they're fine.
Mom: IF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THEM, IT'LL BE YOUR FAULT! I'LL TELL EVERYONE IT WAS YOUR CHOICE.

I did not say, "had we left it up to you, they would be eating plain pie crusts." Besides, everyone, including my parents, liked the cheesecakes.

I came back to the dining room table just as the Grand Canyon off was getting heated. Nina summed it up perfectly.

Nina: I'm afraid this is going to get increasingly competitive until they all start insisting that their trip to the Grand Canyon was more special than everyone else's.
A.: Just be grateful that nobody has talked politics.

And that we were.

***
Mom and [many of her] friends really give me very little credit. It's a wonder they trust me to tie my own shoes.

Mom's friend: So, do you think you'll stay in the DC area?
Mom's other friend: She just bought a house there.
Mom's friend: Really, where?
A.: Not far from where I live now, in Alexandria.
Mom [interrupting me after "Where I live now"]: They don't know where you live now!

Now, while I cannot claim that I need no social skills guidance, I certainly need none from my mom, particularly with regard to offering context. But that's beside the point. Although I have low expectations of my mother's faith in my, I can't believe she thinks she needs to micromanage my conversations.


Another friend: Will you get a pet?
A.: I have a cat.
Friend: How exciting! Your own house-- you can live all on your own.
A.: Actually, I plan to rent out to a roommate.
Friend: It's one, two bedrooms?
A.: Actually, it's four...
Friend: Four!
A.: I was only looking for three and up, since I wanted a guestroom and a room to rent.
Friend: When you advertise for a roommate, make sure you tell them that you have a cat.
A.: [No sarcasm. No sarcasm. Self-censor. Self-censor. Not even 'ya think?'] Okay.

No comments: