Tuesday, December 23, 2014

On hair

Those of you who know me in person may be thinking, "you have terrible hair! why are you writing about hair?" Those of you who maybe don't know me but have been reading the blog for a while may be thinking, "your mom calls your hair, Hagrid hair, and you don't deny it." The more astute among you figure this will be about the sociology of hair, especially as I hinted at it the other day in my theater notes. Indeed, "Bad Jews" did not put too fine a point on it: the symbol of distinction between the two opposite women was their respective hair, and the character who symbolized turning one's back on one's religious identity, admitted that he couldn't stand the sight of his cousin's very Jewish hair. But I've already covered all that on these pages. I'm not interested in getting into, once again, whether this calls for a revocation of my feminist card because I've bought into the patriarchal paradigm of what looks good. So I'm going to share pro-tips from someone who actually knows what she's talking about.

For better or for worse, I've managed to tame my own Jewish hair (or Hagrid hair, if you prefer), not to turn my back on my identity (ffs) but because it just looks better. My hair has become less of a mess over the years because I've learned that a good haircut goes a long way. The good people at Bang understand me, by which they take me at my word that I don't want to have to do anything with my hair; I need a cut that will allow me to roll out of bed and go. I am not interested in straightening my hair everyday, and I am not about to acquire, at my age, the skills to style it. I cannot tell you how how revolutionary this is; that's the first thing I've ever told any stylist, and most of them nonethless insisted on cutting my hair in a way that looks like $hit unless I straighten it. I was recently reminded of this because I was going through older passport photos, and one of them documented a truly hideous haircut.

I've also learned that shampoo matters, and "Yes to Carrots" has been pretty good to me (and good to bunnies). Nonetheless, I've considered foregoing shampoo altogether (even more so than already). I hate, hate washing my hair. There are so many layers of it; it takes forever. Maybe I'm overdoing it; my stylist said it was too squeaky-clean, and that I should consider conditioning my scalp, not just the strands.

Yesterday, I asked Dr. Rubidium to bullshit-check a piece in The Frisky on rye flour for shampoo, and she graciously above-and-beyond responded. Here's what she said:




No comments: