Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Сиди дома не гуляй

This visit has been going as well as can be expected, and much better than I actually expected. Mom's been on her best behavior. But her best is still her.

As I previously told you, she has been playing her "this doesn't belong here" game, but up until this morning she hadn't told me I was harsh or that I emanated coldness. And even though she did say it, she said it once and then dropped it. She did ask me, last night, if I was the only one among my friends who hasn't had kids, and--though I told her I wasn't--she reiterated that this was a travesty.

And she gossips and name-calls (I keep telling her I'm not interested in other people's dirt), and dwells on terrible things. I think this time last year she was dwelling on the last days (and tragic childhood) of a friend of hers who'd passed away, and now she's dwelling on the AirAsia crash. Which means she doesn't stop talking about these things, and continues to repeat herself about things that needn't be dwelt upon.

She asks me whether it's "calm" where I'm going; I tell her it is. She points out that it's not really calm anywhere; I agree. There are risks everywhere. I cross streets in DC.

There's an old Russian folk song--actually, it's actually a song from an old Russian cartoon version of "Little Red Riding Hood"--that permeates my mentality and my responses to mom's questions about such matters. I started quoting it--the shorthand was enough--in response to her over a decade ago, when I was headed to Nicaragua. The shorthand being, Сиди дома не гуляй (sidi doma, nye gulyai) or "sit around at home, don't wander." The song starts out by saying, if you wander for long enough on a path, you'll reach some natural wonders: mountains this high, rivers this wide, hippos and rhinos. But...
Но конечно, но конечно, Если ты такой ленивый, Если ты такой пугливый, Сиди дома не гуляй. Ни к чему тебе дороги, Косогоры, горы, горы, Буераки, реки, раки, Руки, ноги береги. Зачем тебе море вот такой ширины, Зачем тебе небо вот такой вышины. 
But of course, if you're so lazy, if you're so scaredy, better sit around at home; don't wander; those paths aren't for you; nor the mountains or rivers. Mind your hands and feet! Who needs seas this wide, skies this high?
Here you go:

Песня Красной Шапочки 
Музыка: Рыбников А. 
Слова: Ким Ю. 

Если долго, долго, долго, Если долго по тропинке, Если долго по дорожке Топать ехать и бежать, 
То, пожалуй, то конечно, То наверно, верно, верно, То возможно, можно, можно, Можно в Африку прийти. 
А-а, в Африке реки вот такой ширины, А-а, в Африке горы вот такой вышины. А-а, крокодилы, бегемоты, А-а, обезьяны, кашалоты, А-а, и зелёный попугай, А-а, и зелёный попугай. 

И как только, только, только, И как только на дорожке, И как только на тропинке Встречу я кого-нибудь. То тому, кого я встречу, Даже зверю, верю, верю, Не забуду, буду, буду, Буду "здрасьте" говорить. А-а, здравствуйте реки вот такой ширины, А-а, здравствуйте горы вот такой вышины. А-а, крокодилы, бегемоты, А-а, обезьяны, кашалоты, А-а, и зелёный попугай, А-а, и зелёный попугай. 

Но конечно, но конечно, Если ты такой ленивый, Если ты такой пугливый, Сиди дома не гуляй. Ни к чему тебе дороги, Косогоры, горы, горы, Буераки, реки, раки, Руки, ноги береги. Зачем тебе море вот такой ширины, Зачем тебе небо вот такой вышины. А-а, крокодилы, бегемоты, А-а, обезьяны, кашалоты, А-а, и зелёный попугай, А-а, и зелёный попугай.

No comments: