Friday, December 19, 2014

Friday roundup

Yoani Sanchez on Cuba.

Another woman tells her story.

MIT scientists go on Reddit to answer questions; get asked about their bra sizes and told to make sandwiches. That's being a woman on Reddit; here's being a woman on Twitter (see especially Twitter's mansplainy dismissal).

Slate's outrage essays are hit or miss, but it's telling that people keep jumping down Anna Holmes' throat. Also, why the acrimony toward the vegetarian, and can't she just pretend what for grandma's sake?

This white collar/blue collar dynamic is so different in many immigrant communities, because underemployment is rampant and--I'm not going to say no one's judgy, but nobody I grew up around was. You just kind of knew that people didn't have the kinds of jobs they had before they immigrated.

On that note: I was thinking about how I instantly disliked a friend's then-new bf because he said something shitty to a waitress--specifically, as she was trying to minimize the confusion about the bill as people were leaving our large party and she had to close it out because her shift was up, he said, "don't worry, you'll get your tip." What a dick. He probably didn't think he was being a dick; he probably didn't know any better. But even my classist dickhead ex-bf--who said shit like, "I hope I get my raise so I don't have to shop [at ReStore]," didn't take his classism out on people to their faces (well, except me, I suppose, since I did shop at ReStore). But my point is, that kind of shittiness thrives when one segment of the population sees another as a servant class, and not as people. I can't speak for all immigrant communities--in fact, I know of some where the disconnect is even worse--but in mine, people were people.

***
I don't give a f* either way about Mayim Bialik, but I couldn't agree more with Phil Plait:
Yes, Bialik has beliefs unsupported by science. But so does everyone. I imagine if we dig into the histories of the other four women shown in the picture we’ll find all sorts of things that go against the foundations of science, just as you would if you examined anybody’s thoughts. I have met my fair share of scientists who believe in one thing or another without evidence, or despite it. Heck, you can find Nobel scientists who fall into that category, ones who have supported clear crackpottery. 

Here's someone who disagreed, and didn't see a problem with putting Bialik in the same category as a serial rapist.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I've never actually assaulted anyone over a screaming baby on a plane.

Mainstream self-tracking apps are confused by women.

Amazing compendium of corrections in the media.


Check out these ice formations.

No comments: