Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Mom's ranting

Well, mom seems to have found her bitter self this morning. The good news is, I'm leaving tonight.

Mom: Did you hear about this? The planned protests at Copley?
A.: Yes.
Mom: And?
A.: And?
Mom: What do you think?
A.: ...
Mom: Idiots!
A.: Why?
Mom: These are people with nothing better to do, on welfare. Thieves, jerks.
A.: How do you know?
Mom: Of course I know! All decent people know.

At this point, mom launches into some bitter, rabid name calling.

A.: Maybe lay off the "idiots!" first thing in the morning?
Mom: It's my house! I'll do whatever I want. I won't talk to you at all. I only talk to you because of dad. [Pause.] All decent people know. Except for the idiots. [Pause.] Of course. You voted for that idiot. Now manage the consequences.

Mom: I've dealt with the police once or twice and it's always been a positive experience.

First of all, this isn't true. Mom has ranted about police corruption, nepotism, etc. before, including in this town. Second of all, police being a positive experience for white people is not the point, and a decade ago I would have argued with her but there's no point in reasoning with mom at this stage.

Mom goes on another bout of name-calling, goes on about the state of things under this president. I ask her to stop. She insists that she'll say whatever she wants because she wants to.

Now she's ranting about how everything's in the wrong place. It's going to be a long day.

No comments: