Wednesday, December 31, 2014

In which mom offered me a pair of 3X Angry Bird lounge pants

Dad, to his credit, keeps his promises. After I gave him my cleaning tool for small spaces because the radiators each have their own colonies of dust bunnies--and I made him promise to actually use it--the radiators are spotless.

Mom won't let anything be tossed; it has to be done when she's not looking, and even then, she'll dig it out of the trash (or recycling bin or compost bin). She took the old phone books out of the recycling bin because the paper could be useful for sitting on, for example (dad plans to put them back just in time for them to be collected). She argues that clearly moldy food items, aren't, and even tries to eat them. In her defense, she's confused about what things are. In my defense (for getting frustrated with her), I have a built-up reaction against her trying to buy useless things and often foist them on me. Last night she tried to foist upon me a massive pair of Angry Birds lounge pants.

Mom: Do you want this? It's very cozy.
A.: No, thanks. I'm not taking any warm clothes.
Mom: I mean, not now; next time.
A.: We can talk about it then.
Mom: It's very cozy.
A.: They're 3X... they'd fall right off of me.
Mom: It's meant to be loose. It's like a [muumuu].
A.: Mom, they're pants.
Mom: No, they're not.
A.: Okay. In any case, I'm not taking it with me.
Mom: Suit yourself.

I'd get annoyed at dad for letting her buy them in the first place, but I know it's useless to argue with her once she sets her sights on something. I'd get annoyed with dad for taking her to that store, but what is he going to do? We barely talked her out of it the other day, when we were nearby for a walk. It's the same one where she gets all her discounted cleaning products. Of which this house doesn't need more.

No comments: