Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tuesday morning roundup

Bombing survivors face high ongoing costs. Massachusetts and its health care system are well-suited to the challenge.

Beijing can't breathe; there are costs to ignoring the environmental impact of growth at all costs (and of coal).

Okay, while you're not hating on the Czechs out of confusion, it would also behoove you to not hate on the Chechens as a whole, out of perspective.

Oh, shut up, Nate Silver.

I still don't think I'd eat wild boar but I guess I'm glad other people are. I'd grill up these guys for sure.

For its birthday, Hubble takes a picture of a horsehead nebula. See also this cluster of blue stars from the European Southern Observatory.

Dave Brooks makes some good points about confidence, or asks some good questions. There is value in self-criticism, but confidence doesn't preclude self-criticism (in fact, I think confidence smooths the process). I'm not sure how individual women can speak to averages (i.e., on average, are women less confident than men) but yes, my personal impression is that dudes tend to think they're god's gift to women, while a lot of women are the opposite of Samantha Brick: we focus on what's not right about our appearance. We're less likely to consider ourselves attractive.

Sorry, I (in my infinite wisdom on such matters) have to disagree with Carolyn. Let the dude ask you out; if he doesn't, he's just not that into you. 

Make this artichoke-orzo dish with tahini in lieu of bechamel and nutritional yeast in lieu of parmesan. Or replace the milk in the olive-oil bechamel with soy milk.

Who are the 20 most irritating celebrities? I have to ask, again, what Anne Hathaway ever did to anyone, but that topic is well covered.

OMG there is a massive spider on my ceiling and I don't want to kill it but I can't get rid of it. 

No comments: