Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tuesday evening roundup

Really, Lego?

Sadly, this is not the first (or second) time I've read about Millennials' egregiously clueless interview behavior.

Really, Japan? Girlfriend coats?

I saw an add for Big Ass Fans in the New Yorker (my last issue!) and thought it a poster ad for hyphens: I read it at Big Ass-Fans, not the intended Big-Ass Fans.

Okay, I agree that no one else cares about your arms, but if you do care, for f*'s sake, lift some weights! It's good for you. Skip the lipo. I do not understand this cosmetic surgery thing. It is simply beyond me. Then again, I don't get non-essential prescription drug use, so I'm clearly out of touch with a lot of people. And I feel the need to express how nonplussed I am in writing: I am nonplussed. Accept your f*ing self, and/or deal with yourself in a way that makes you healthier, not sicker/more vulnerable to infection, etc.

I want to share (and perhaps comment on) some of Mark Bittman's VB6 tweets:
Sigh. Tofu is not that processed; tempeh is even less processed. Don't confound processed soy products (TVP)--which are still good for occasional use--with pretty basic soy products. And yes, soy milk is pretty processed but it's also okay (especially occasionally) and it does come unsweetened, and there are other vegan milks.
Nothing wrong with carbs, people. Particularly whole-food carbs.

My take on the whole VB6 idea: it's great if you want to do the less-meat thing, but it would drive me crazy. I appreciate the concept of flexibility, which is why I would advocate picking your battles, or eating what's available. But if you're anything like me (maybe you are, maybe you're not), if you just quit dairy, period (and mind you, I was already a vegetarian, so for some people that's meat and dairy), you won't crave it; you can drop the "before six" part more easily and just be vegan. Reintroducing animal products in the evening just cuts off that great feeling you get by not wanting them at all. And when you need or want to "cheat," just do it. I've been a pretty bad vegan over the last few weeks (work travel, etc.) and it doesn't make me want to eat dairy again; it just makes me want to go back to having more control over my food options.

No comments: