Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday evening roundup

India's keeps topping itself in the most unconscionable rape case category. Seriously, f* this week.

I do feel Boston's events more closely because I grew up there--these ghost-town pictures probably look eerier to me than to someone who's never been there--and I still know a lot of people in the area. All that aside, I have a great deal of compassion for those who have lost people and/or limbs, but I agree that there's no need to appropriate the tragedy and engage in vicarious victimhood. There is a need to revel in the competence of Boston's hospital workers.

Really? I guess dad wasn't too far off base in trying to tell me about Chechnya this morning.

Do read up on the Twitter responses to Nate Bell.

Wow, lots of Russians and Belorussians are easily duped. Is the bigger question, however, where physicists get silly-ass names for their particles? 

Were you curious about ammonium nitrate-based fertilizer?

Readers are more dismissive of female-led research.

I have to admit that I have never seen a Tyler Perry movie, so I am in no position to judge, but I appreciate the hazards of critiquing a work (or body of work) targeted at a different demographic. I would have felt a hesitance similar to that described in the link when I shrugged at "The Mountaintop," but since nobody reads my blog, it's not really an issue.

Moms evolved, so babies did, too.

I respect the conclusions of this experiment in veganism.

Maybe I need to get Gracie a sloth.

No comments: