Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tuesday evening roundup

It does not feel like 50 degrees in Washington. It just feels cold.

"Benevolent" sexism is a misnomer; it has consequences. And this mock obituary of Einstein is truly awesome. But back to "benevolent" sexism: this dude disagrees with Amanda Marcotte about Kate Upton's prom invitation. I can grant him some of his points, but I think he misses AM's overall point. Also: "unwitting" feminists are really just hypocrites.

A few weeks ago I discovered Regender; #EdgyHeadlines is its just-for-headlines counterpart. Here are some good ones:



Try to get over the fawning support for the President's environmental record, but do note the role of the lobbyists.

Good thing no one reads my blog, because I'm about to step into some very controversial territory: I'm sorry, but I don't understand why taking any kids out to restaurants is an unalienable human right. I don't care why your kid can't behave him or herself; I don't want to deal with it. I have genuine compassion for parents of autistic kids and an appreciation for the challenges, but I'm not buying the logic of "I know the kid's going to misbehave but I'm going to take him/her out to dinner anyway." Maybe it's because I grew up never really going to restaurants, so I don't see it as a sociocultural rite. I do get the socialization thing, but then, stick to kid-friendly restaurants. Again, I'm not judging you as a parent; I'm expressing my right to enjoy restaurants in peace. Maybe the common ground is here:
Everyone knows that certain restaurants are family establishments. If you don't like dealing with families and children than maybe you should be kept at home until you can learn to comport yourself in a compassionate and empathic manner.
Awesome! I'll stay out of family establishments, and you keep your kids out of nicer restaurants unless/until they can behave themselves. And learn the difference between "than" and "then" and teach it to your kids. Some kids are good in restaurants at any age; if you want to bring them out early, be prepared to leave with them if they get rowdy. That's just common courtesy.

Another note to parents: here's what not to share on social media. Oh, everyone and her grandmother is offering free etiquette tips, but I'll stick with Miss Manners.


I know I'm short--which reduces my caloric needs--but does nobody else not need 2,000 calories??

Check out some cool pictures and guess whether they're works of nature or of human creativity.

No comments: